With the last of the summer holidays on the horizon, I wanted to add the recipe for the Strawberries and Basil cake that I made for the recent Cake Club. Everyone was taken by the flavour combination and pretty colours!
Strawberries & Basil Cake Recipe
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50g olive oil
- 25g fresh basil
- green colour paste (optional)
- 100g strawberry jam
- 150g vanilla frosting
- fondant icing (to cover) or you could use vanilla frosting
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Grease a 6″ cake tin.
- Blend the basil leaves with the olive oil until you have a paste consistency.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time and vanilla extract to the butter mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder and basil paste – fold together gently.
- If you would like the cake to have a stronger “green” colour then add the paste at this stage and mix thoroughly into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool before icing.
- Divide your cake into 2 or 3, layer and stack with vanilla frosting and jam then cover with fondant icing or vanilla frosting.